Still trying to shake off a nasty cold, so am stuck at home. I treated myself to a new piece of software called Mixed in Key, which allows one to identify what key tracks are in and consequently making mixing more harmonious. On Friday night, I tried it out with lots of older tracks and it was horrid, which made me realise that mixing is not just about putting similar tracks beside each other; it’s also about all sorts of other things like beatmatching and context and so on.
Anyway, I abandoned that project for the moment and decided to do a mix with current tracks instead. And I’m impressed! Matching the keys means I could mix tracks into each other much earlier without the overlap sounding a bit off. I’m terribly pleased! (Apart from the bloody too loud bits that are a bit squelchy).
Product promotion over! Here are the fruits of my labours; the usual euphoric funky housey shit that makes loads of sense when you’re out of your head. (Ignore the transition between 6 and 7 when it all went a bit tits up, but I did all sorts of things to it to make it sound OK-ish -how on earth do DJs do this sort of stuff live? They are musical geniuses!).
Download the mix as one track Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose: Spring 07 (Remastered mp3 62MB) [mediafire link]
- Dare Me (Stupidisco) (Warren Clarke Club Mix) * Junior Jack
- Want Love (Hoxton Whores Remix) * Hysteric Ego Vs. Hoxton Whores
- So In Love With You (Haji & Emanuel Mix) * Duke
- Ocean Drums (Mischa Daniels Higher Mode Mix) * Jerry Ropero & Michael Simon feat. Kathy Brown
- Head Over Heels (Alex Gaudino Remix) * Blu Lipstick
- Hard To Beat (Axwell Mix) * Hard-Fi
- Smaller (Dave Aude Remix) * Suite 117
- Ring The Alarm (Freemasons Mix) * Beyoncé
- Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Stonebridge Mix) * Seamus Haji feat. KayJay
- Destination Calabria (Club Mix) * Alex Gaudino feat. Crystal Waters