December again and so far this winter in London, we haven’t really needed to rummage for the scarves and gloves. It’s unseasonably delightful – as I type I’m looking out at blue skies and glorious winter sunshine.
Despite that, let’s have a listen to the latest installment in the Scarves & Gloves series – a mixtape of festive melancholia that paradoxically might warm your cockles. Nothing like a bit of wistful nostalgia to brighten the spirits on these ever-chillier and darker evenings.
As ever, there’s some old (16th century choral should do it), quite a bit of new (the quite lovely Smith & Burrows take on Christmas of 2011 London) and both (Kaskade do a typically classy re-rub of Ol’ Blue Eyes).
There’s a global feel too with languid Americana, Irish indie and Anglo-Asian beats covered.
Have a listen to it on Mixcloud now or
download it (mp3 78MB) and let it accompany you on your frosty morning walk.
- When the Thames Froze – Smith & Burrows
- Gaudete – Steeleye Span
- Purple Snowflakes – Marvin Gaye
- Walking In The Winter – The Coral
- Song For A Future Love – The Frank and Walters
- Mistletoe And Holly (Kaskade Mix) – Frank Sinatra
- Once There Was A Wintertime – Cornershop feat. Bubbley Kaur
- Christmas Day – She & Him
- Boots – The Killers
- My Christmas Prayer – Saint Etienne
- Feliz Navidad – Sea Of Bees
- Winter Wonderland – Bent feat. Cathy Davey
Previous Scarves & Gloves mixtapes are available too:
EDIT: Mediafire won’t let me share these any longer. However….
The lovely image of Oxford above is by pcgn7 on flickr and is called Randolph Hotel and Martyrs’ Memorial with ten hipster snowmen.